<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Molong - Central New South Wales - Australian Holidays
Explorer Country Logo
Welcome
	 to Beautiful Australia
Error processing SSI file '/banner_mmi.asp'

[Panel Two] [Panel Three] [Panel Four]

THE TAPESTRY

This hand embroidery, is a lasting treasure of historical significance, using 33 traditional stitches in a creative manner on mono canvas, 14 threads to the inch. Buildings applied are ,slips' (a method popular in the Elizabethan era). This four section, free standing screen depicts the European settlement of Molong and district in handspun naturally dyed wool (98%), mohair (2%).
The colours were derived from natural sources, ground flora, leaves and blossoms; occasionally awaiting return of the season to obtain the necessary colour. All fibres donated by members and friends of The Yarn Market Assn. Ltd., Molong, New South Wales.
Each panel is approximately 23' x 60' with overall size 7ft x 9ft 7" wide.
Designed by Caroline Wheeler of Woodstock, research and data collated by Beth Marriott, artist Cath Wyatt, stitching guidance Jean Kelly, member of N.S.W. Embroideries Guild, with a team of sixty ladies and five gentlemen, frame red cedar by craftsman Robert Crombie.
Combining love, creativity and diligence of all concerned; taking four years from selecting theme to completion, two years and seven months stitching.

Panel No.l. - 1788-1838
Explorers & Pioneers

Thirty three years after settlement of the Colony of New South Wales, the Blue Moun- tains were crossed.
When Cox built the road through this virgin land, 28 men built 100 miles of road in six months. William Lee, a young man came with Cox, staying at Bathurst, later William Lee moved to Molong, building one of the first shearing sheds, (using ships carpenters), who worked with local Cypress Pine. In 1974 this shed was being replaced. The timbers from the shearing shed were used in restoration of The Yarn Market Coach House, where this Screen stands.
The Molong Rivulet formed part of the 'Limit of Location', the boundary of the nineteen counties of Governor Darling, beyond which it was illegal to go. This panel portrays the virgin state of the country. Molong town evolved with the coming of the settlers.
One of Major Mitchell's explorations started not far from Molong. Hence the explorers are seen outside their tents with aboriginal guide, Yuranigh, of Molong a member of the Wiradjuri Nation.
The simple bark roofed, settlers cottage nestles amongst the trees.
Timber is thick and tall, abundance of rock is seen. 'Molong' is aboriginal for'Place of Many Rocks'.
Government Gazette, May 1826 recorded extra men stationed at Molong, due to problems with Bushrangers.